10 Things I Wish I Had Known…
1. Research doesn’t mean a jaunt to the library or sailing through cyberspace. It means a trip into your characters’ lives.
2. Some critics are like boo birds that sit on their lofty power lines and crap (mess) on those beneath them.
3. When I grow up, I will know the difference between lie and lay and sit and set. Until then, my characters will rest and stand.
4. All my characters are blind because I don’t really know them until they crawl into the shower and start speaking to me.
5. True success is a hundred pages without an adverb.
6. Emotional pain knocks at the writer’s heart and bleeds onto the written page.
7. Do you know how a writer and a flock of geese are alike? They both have a higher calling.
8. A good writer knows all the weirdoes in his family are a compilation of himself.
9. A good writer knows that cutting the flab adds muscle and reduces the fat in his manuscript.
10. A writer’s tools are his words — add to them daily, memorize their meanings, and learn to spell them like a first place kid in a spelling bee.
Award-winning author, DiAnn Mills, launched her career in 1998 with the publication of her first book. Currently she has twenty novels, fifteen novellas, a non fiction book, several articles, and short stories. She has sold more than a million books.
DiAnn believes her readers should “Expect an Adventure.” Her desire is to show characters solving real problems from a Christian perspective through a compelling story.
DiAnn is a founding board member for American Christian Fiction Writers, a member of Inspirational Writers Alive, Chi Libris, Christian Authors Network, and Advanced Writers and Speakers Association. She speaks to various groups and teaches writing workshops. She is also a mentor for Jerry Jenkins’s Christian Writers Guild.
NEBRASKA LEGACY – Barbour Publishing – February 2006
LEATHER AND LACE – Barbour Publishing – February 2006
WHEN THE SHADOW FALLS from MACKINAC ISLAND – Barbour Publishing – May 2006
LANTERNS AND LACE – Barbour Publishing – September 2006