How to Homeschool in 13 Easy Steps
As a homeschooling mom of nearly three decades, here are some tips for planning and scheduling your homeschooling!
Homeschooling your children can be a wonderful experience. Not only do you get to spend more time with them, but you can tailor your education to your children’s needs and interests. As a homeschooling mom of nearly three decades, here are some tips for planning and scheduling your homeschooling!
- Know and Follow Your State Requirements: Each state has different regulations for homeschooling, so make sure you know what your state requires. This will help you ensure that your children receive a proper education and that you follow the law.
- Schedule Heart Training Beyond Book Training: Homeschooling isn’t just about teaching your children academics. It’s also about training their hearts—scheduling time for character development, life skills, and other essential education areas beyond book learning.
- Big Picture Idea: Take some time to think about your overall goals for your children’s education. What do you want them to learn? What skills do you want them to develop? This will help you plan your curriculum and schedule your homeschool days.
- Plan Your Week: Once you have a big-picture idea, start planning your weekly schedule. Determine which subjects you’ll teach each day and for how long. Consider your children’s ages and abilities and any extracurricular activities or appointments.
- Teach Kids of Various Ages at the Same Time: Teaching kids of different ages simultaneously can be challenging, but it’s doable. One strategy is to teach your older children more challenging material while tailoring the same subjects into more manageable tasks for younger kids. Another method is to have your older children help “teach” your younger children.
- Discover That a Routine Is Your Friend: Kids thrive on routine. Establishing a pattern for your homeschool days can help your children feel more secure and make your days run more smoothly.
- Whiteboards, Calendars, and Planners: Use whiteboards, calendars, and planners to help you stay organized. Write down your schedule, your to-do list, and any critical dates.
- Morning Time and Read-Alouds: Many homeschooling families enjoy a “morning time” together to read and study. (Personally, this is one of my favorite parts of homeschooling!) This can be a great way to start your day and build family connections.
- When Life Goes Off Schedule: Life happens, and sometimes your homeschool days will go differently than planned. It’s essential to be flexible and to have a backup plan. Ensure you have some activities or lessons ready if you need to switch gears.
- Vacationing While Others Are in School: One of the benefits of homeschooling is that you can take vacations whenever you want. Consider taking trips during the off-season when prices are lower and crowds are smaller.
- Chores and Home Economics: Teaching your children life skills is essential to their education—schedule time for chores and home economics, such as cooking, cleaning, and laundry.
- Birthdays, Holidays, and Other Celebrations: Remember to schedule time for birthdays, holidays, and other celebrations. These are essential times to connect with your family and to make memories.
- Put Away Your Phone: When spending time with your children, put away your phone. Give them your undivided attention and show them they’re more important than your screen.
Remember to be flexible, adaptable, and open-minded, as homeschooling can be a challenging but ultimately rewarding journey. With a little bit of planning and organization, you can provide your children with an education that prepares them for a successful future and helps them grow into well-rounded individuals.
Homeschool Success Course
Are you feeling overwhelmed and uncertain about your homeschooling journey? Do you wish you had a roadmap to help you navigate the challenges and achieve success? Look no further than Tricia Goyer’s Homeschool Success video course!
Tricia Goyer is a homeschooling expert with over 20 years of experience, and she has poured all of her knowledge and wisdom into this comprehensive course. In each video, Tricia shares practical tips and strategies for homeschooling, from choosing a curriculum to managing your time effectively.
With Homeschool Success, you’ll discover how to:
- Create a customized curriculum that meets your family’s unique needs
- Develop a daily routine that maximizes your time and energy
- Cultivate a love of learning in your children and inspire them to reach their full potential
- Foster a positive homeschooling environment that nurtures relationships and builds character
- Navigate the challenges of homeschooling with confidence and grace
Tricia’s warm and engaging teaching style will leave you feeling empowered and equipped to tackle any homeschooling challenge that comes your way. You’ll also receive a workbook with actionable steps and reflection questions to help you apply your learning to your homeschooling journey.
Take advantage of this opportunity to learn from one of the most respected homeschooling experts in the industry. Enroll in Tricia Goyer’s Homeschool Success video course today and start your journey to homeschooling success!
Homeschool Success Course only $9
Purchase the course here.
Purchase the course here.