Do you struggle with being faithful in your bible reading? Tricia Goyer shares some help and 5 benefits of reading God’s word. She also shares one big problem which might surprise you…
5 Benefits of Reading God’s Word
At the beginning of this year, I felt the desire to read through my Bible again. I’ve read through it six times before and putting God’s Word in my heart changes my life. On a whim, I asked if anyone on Facebook would like to join me—200+ women did!
Reading through the Bible is the same as providing water, soil, and sunlight to a new plant. It’s what’s needed for God’s children to grow!
Growing up in Sunday school I knew a lot of Bible stories. I knew about David and Goliath, Noah’s Ark, and the miracles of Jesus. Sunday-school lessons are often laid about by theme, which is great for building morals. But . . . what I didn’t understand was how the pieces fit together. I didn’t understand how Adam’s story connected with David’s story and how they both connected with Jesus’ story.
Are you considering reading through the Bible? Start today! You don’t have to wait until the new year. You can start any day, any time. (I use this guide.) And if you do, you will be blessed.
Here are five benefits of reading God’s word.
- When you read and know the Bible, God’s Holy Spirit can remind you of specific messages or stories that relate to your personal concerns.
- When you read and know the Bible, God’s Holy Spirit can teach you Bible people’s choices—both wise and unwise. And you can make better decisions for yourself.
- When you read and know the Bible, God’s Holy Spirit will guide you to Bible promises when you most need direction.
- When you read and know the Bible, God’s Holy Spirit will fill you with God’s peace. The worries of this world are pushed to the back burner.
- When you read and know the Bible, God’s Holy Spirit will convict you of God’s mandates. You learn how to discern truth versus lies. You discover what’s right and what’s wrong. The pride you have in your own efforts diminishes and you look to God. Your sin stands out, and you turn to Him.
I’m a different person, who makes different choices when I read God’s complete Word.
So what’s the problem?
Problem: The more time I spend in God’s Word the more I NEED it. I don’t function well without it. When I don’t have time to read and meditate on God’s truths, my soul feels weary and hungry. AND this hunger problem leads to one cranky, overwhelmed wife and mom.
More than once I’ve been on the brink, and I’ve told my husband, “I just need fifteen minutes to read and pray.” And it works.
God’s Word is addicting. My soul craves it on busy, harried days. I need His word to be reminded, taught, guided, filled, and convicted. Without it, my own desires, demands, and decisions lead me astray.
Thankfully even when I’ve feel soul empty, there is an easy fix. I open up God’s Word and read. As I do, my problems aren’t solved overnight, but I’m changing. . . and from there God is able to do His work on all that’s around me, too.
What about you? What benefits of reading God’s word have you found?
Steps You Can Take
- Find/make time for God’s Word. (Don’t be afraid to ask your spouse for help with this!)
- Put away all distractions.
- Open the Bible and begin reading!
Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for Word spoken to us through the Bible. Thank you that it feeds and nourishes my soul. Help me to continue to hunger for it, to need it daily, and to make time for it every day.
In Jesus’ name, amen.
Resources You Might Like:
Have you ever wanted to read through the Bible but found yourself giving up? Or even worse, you read the chapters and at the end question how they apply to your life. Tricia Goyer understands. For years she felt frustrated that she couldn’t stick to her commitment to read God’s Word all the way through. Things changed when she found a doable plan and wrote out a daily prayer. Tricia’s heart changed. Her life did, too. God can bring real transformation into your heart and life when you daily commit to reading your Bible and praying through God’s Word. Praying through the Bible in One Year offers a guided reading plan and a daily prayer starter to help you make God’s Word applicable to your life. Discover the inspiration for real-life transformation.