1. The character. When I first started writing my Big Sky Series I wrote a character description sheet for my publisher. Marianna Sommer was petite with dark hair and gray eyes.
2. The image. For the book cover Along Wooded Paths we knew we wanted a scene with Marianna walking in an area with meadows and trees. We had to make sure she had the right kapp. The right coat. The right dress and apron.
3. The look. My publisher and I decided we wanted a “contemplative, yet sweet look” on Marianna’s face. We used the same model as novel #1, Beside Still Waters. She posed in front of a blank background.
4. The decision. The model did a great job. We had a hard time picking which image we liked best!
5. The finish work. The amazing designer Diana added the background and softened the photo. Here is the final result!
I love how you show the process. Obviously a glimpse none of us get! I think it’s a great choice.