How My Little Kids Help Me In My Work
I’ve had kids in the home for twenty-four years. I’ve been writing (working) from home for twenty years. So everything I’ve accomplished as an author has been with kids at home. My kids help me in with my work—they really do.
- They give me material to write about. I don’t know what I would write about if I didn’t have them!
- They help me clean. OK, so the cleaning they do involves THEIR stuff. (And I have to remind them over and over to pick it up.)
- They give me book ideas. Alyssa (three) told me that I need to write a story about a dancing doll and a polar bear. (I still have to work on that one.)
The important thing isn’t the amount of help that your kids actually do, but instead that they feel as if they’re a part of it. Because someday, when they get older, their ideas, work, and help will be valuable!
Just thinking about this makes me think about ways I can do a better job at involving them:
- Talking to the kids about my work/books and asking for suggestions.
- Getting them involved in “work” tasks, such as opening the mail.
- Letting them know they “why” behind what we’re doing. For example, I’m taking them to Nashville for a work trip. Yes, they’ll be able to see their cousins, but I’m going to do better at explaining what type of work Mommy will be doing while they’re playing.
With my older three kids they grew up understanding that servicing others through work and service was something we all did together. I’m excited to teach my younger kids the same!
How about you? How do you involve your kids in your work?
Dear Lord, help me to look at each opportunity as a chance to involve my kids in my work and my day. Help them to learn from me, and help me to be a good example to my children. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Resources You Might Like:
Mom’s Ultimate Family Organizer
I’m a Work-at-Home Mommy—You Can Too!
What’s Your Lane?
Andrea Cox says
Love Alyssa’s idea. Ever think about writing kids’ stories? You’ve got a gold mine of inspiration, there!
I don’t know whether it’s just me or if everyone else experiencing problems with your site.
It seems like some of the written text on your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this is
happening to them too? This might be a problem with my browser because I’ve had
this happen before. Appreciate it
Caitlin Wilson says
My name is Caitlin, and I’m one of Tricia’s assistants. I’m guessing it’s your browser; you might try using a different browser or making sure your zoom settings are set to 100%. Everything looks ok on our end!