I asked my Facebook friends who has been married for at least twenty years what advice they’d give to a young, married couple, and I loved their answers! I have such wise friends. Read Part One. Read Part Two. Read Part Four.
Pass on these posts to any young, married couples you know!
- “Look to the needs of the other first. Marriage isn’t a contest where the most spoiled one wins.” ~Patti Hill
- “Communicate, never go to bed angry at each other, and remember the couch is for sitting, not sleeping.” ~MamaPeaches Smith
- “A marriage without God and the presence of Jesus is absent of everything else. Let the Lord be the center of your life and the foundation of your marriage.” ~Mary Susan Vaughn
- “Treat your spouse as you want to be treated. It’s the little things you sometimes do for each other that shows you care.” ~Susan Conceicao
- “Be loving, patience, understanding, and faithful. Be a good listener and put your spouses first. Consult the Lord and pray!” ~Susan Schrader Perrin
- “Reaffirm commitment and love daily—leave no room for doubt.” ~Mary Ann Hake
- “Don’t bring old arguments into new ones. Past is past. Be willing to say you’re sorry and to forgive when you’ve been wronged.” ~Jan Jackson Peterson
- “Your spouse is a gift from and still belongs to God. You are accountable to Him for the way you care for them. When both partners believe this and serve each other accordingly, there is a sweet peace and great pleasure in your marriage.” ~John D Seither
- “Don’t compare your spouse to an unrealistic character from a book, movie, or TV show.” ~Stephanie Nickel
- “Understand that marriage is hard work but the benefits are wonderful. And be prepared for hard times—as my husband of thirty years says, it’s during hard times that a couple grows into one.” ~Patty Smith Hall
Like these tips?