Write the Script to Your Life
What are you talking to yourself about?
No, I’m serious. What do you say?
Whether we know it or not, there is a continual dialogue going through our minds. The dialogue occurs in two ways:
- Unscripted: Out-of-control, spontaneous, un-anchored. It’s when your social calendar, the people around you, and whatever emotion of the day or hour takes over and rules your life.
- Scripted: A solid plan. It’s something YOU create after thinking through situations, considering your plans and what you want, talking to God about your worries, cares, and your hopes. Then you actively determine how to handle life (with God’s help and strength). So even when everything feels whacked out, you have something solid to hold onto.
When I was younger, I didn’t have any idea it was possible to script my thoughts. I learned quickly that how I thought was what I believed. And what I believed, I lived. And living with my emotions just millimeters from the surface didn’t always make a pretty picture.
How about you? What does your current, internal dialogue involve? Your thoughts will control your beliefs— which, in turn, will control your actions. This may not result in throwing punches . . . although that is a real possibility.
Believe it or not, you don’t have to leave your life (thoughts, beliefs, actions) to chance. You don’t have to be caught up in the drama, pulled along by every new character that pops into the scenes of your life (whether positively or negatively). Instead, you can realize you are the Star Performer in your life story. You can write the script. Being the Star Performer of your world doesn’t mean you’re the center of the universe, but rather you understand that God—who is the center of the universe—created you with a role to play. Not only that, He’s provided His Word (the Script) and the Holy Spirit (the Internal Director) to guide you along the way.
To live life scripted means to allow God’s Word to guide your thoughts, actions, emotions, and desires before you throw yourself into the drama of life.
So. What ARE you saying to yourself?
Steps You Can Take
- Think about what you are saying to yourself.
- What do your thoughts say about what you believe? How you act?
- Discipline yourself to pay attention to what you are thinking. Does it align with how you want to be living your life?
- Immerse yourself in God’s word. Let this guide be the script to your live.
- Live intentionally. Be the Star Performer in the life God has created for you.
Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for the gift of your word and the guide it provides for life. Help me guard and monitor my thoughts, so I might live a scripted life that honors you. May I immerse myself in your word and always look to You to guide my every step.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Resources You Might Like:
My Life Unscripted: Who’s Writing Your Life? by Tricia Goyer
The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
I have a few books on sale right now! Generation NeXt Marriage is $2.99. You can also get my four World War II novels in the Liberators Series for $13.99.
Are you new here? You might want to subscribe to my email updates, or follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, or Instagram.
Leave a Reply